Museum of Perast – Established by the Municipal Council of Perast in 1937, the museum includes exhibits collected from the second half of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century, mainly donated by local people, the descendants of noble families of Perast. Besides the portraits of famous Perast seamen, weapons and other exhibits from the past of Perast, it houses the archives of the municipality of Perast from 1441 onwards. The museum used to be situated in the building of former municipality of Perast, next to St. Nicholas’ church. Today, it is situated in the Bujovic palace, which was adapted for this purpose in 1957.
In the museum of Perast, through its extensive displays and collections, it is possible to trace the historical, maritime, economic and cultural development of Perast during the reign of the Venetian Republic (1420-1797) and throughout the 19th century, when Perast was ruled by the French and Austrians under whom it experienced a much rapid decline than other towns of the Boka Kotorska.
In 1979, the Perast Palace and Museum were damaged by an earthquake. Between 1979 and 1998, the Palace and Museum underwent basic restoration. However, space envisioned after the earthquake for the public display of a rich collection of over 300 paintings, sculptures, and library and archive materials was started but never completed.
Prior to the earthquake, these items were previously stored in the museum for research purposes only and were never accessible to the public.
By the end of 2006, construction will be completed, with the financial assistance of the American people through the US Consulate in Montenegro, for additional space within the Perast Museum for public viewing of these artifacts of significant cultural value. Making these items accessible will add to the attraction of Perast.
Museum of the church of St. Nicholas with a belfry – It possesses a rich collection of relics, silver and wooden crosses, chalices, icons, baroque paintings (by Tripo Kokaolja), etc. There is also a baroque altar with marble angels and different kinds of vestments (copes, chasubles, “dalmatike”, “stole“, etc.)
Our Lady of the Rock – The church of Our Lady of the Rock also possesses a museum with rich collection of stone monuments. Of special interest are the following: a relief worked in Carara marble depicting the scene of Annunciation by Venetian sculptor Giovanni Bonaca: votive paintings of ships; and a famous embroidered icon of the Virgin, a votive gift from 1828, of Jacinta Kunic from Perast who sewed her own hair on the heads of the Virgin and child. Also valuable is a small collection of tools and weapons, reminding us of a past when the sanctuary had to be defended.